Thursday, September 2, 2010

LIVING YOUR POTENTIAL

How often do others think we should do something, but for whatever reason, we don’t do it? We might think it’s a good idea, but either don’t have the desire or the confidence!

Lately I’ve been thinking about people in general, and some specifically – how most people do not live up to their potential! There are so many things standing in their way! Can you imagine what this world would be like if everyone lived to their potential, followed their dreams and passions, and lived a full life? Wow – I don’t think I can even imagine what that would be like!!!

I can hardly imagine what MY life would have been like if I had done that. I have had so many dreams and wishes in my life – gone unfulfilled. And here I am, I the last half of my life, finally following my dream! ...finally having the confidence to believe in myself! Even yet, I sometimes get tired and wish I didn’t have to work so hard! Reaching your dreams is actually hard work – maybe that’s one reason more people don’t do it. hmmm...

I wonder what other reasons people have for not following their dreams or living to their potential. I had a client who told me that he has done a lot of things, but he really wanted to be ‘an expert’ at something. He felt like he never lived up to his potential. He said when things got hard, he’d quit. That sounds like me in the past too! I wonder why? Why do we quit so easily?

We actually do have many opportunities and options. Why do so many of us settle for something that is less than satisfying? Are we so content with our lives to the point that we don’t dream anymore? Maybe we’re lazy! I doubt that! Are we just not motivated? I don’t think that’s true either. When someone is following their heart or dream, they get really motivated. Motivation creates energy – so we wouldn’t be lazy.

So – what’s the reason? Is it lack of self-confidence? Is it lack of belief in oneself? I think maybe that is what it was for me. I remember a school principal I taught for who had a lot of confidence in me. Because I didn’t really believe that I was capable of what he thought I could do, I didn’t pursue his suggestions or take advantage of those opportunities. What a waste! How many wasted opportunities have we experienced?

I feel like I’ve rambled – I let you into my mind and my thoughts. Truly – what is the reason more people don’t follow their dreams, don’t live their passion? Why are people content with a mediocre lifestyle when life has so much more to offer? Why?

3 comments:

Karen said...

Why don't we? Good question!
For me, lack of self-confidence has caused me to miss many opportunities in life - also an unrealistic idea of what the journey should be like.

Karen

Anonymous said...

I have so many dreams…too many dreams…but for some reasons, most of the time I find good excuses not to pursue my dreams. Some of the reasons I use to justify not following my dreams are: not enough money to live and pursue my dream, lack of self-confidence, fear of failing, not enough skills, etc. But one thing I find I often forget to use as an excuse (or do not want to acknowledge that it has an impact on me) is the pressure from society to be a certain way. Society has that way to categorize people and expect certain people to be and do certain things. When I was younger, I always wanted to be different and thought that I would never get “trapped” by “Society”… After working for few years, I quit an excellent job offering a very bright and successful future (by Society’s standards) to go volunteer in Asia with my boyfriend that I had just met. Both our families thought we had lost our mind and tried to stop us. They were not successful. We followed our heart and dreams and spent one year in Asia. To this day, this has been the best decision of my life. To think that I could have listened to “Society” and miss out on the best experience of my life! Wow!

After reading Betty’s post, I looked back at the last 4-5 years and starting realizing all the dreams that I buried so deep in my soul to the point that I even forgot I had them. I realize that I lost myself somewhere in the process…I failed to be true to myself…Society is winning right now…but just FOR NOW! Things are about to change. With the help of my fantastic coach (Betty), I am confident that I will find the “old me” and then I will just “go for my dreams”!

Betty said...

Thanks for your comments. I'm confident in both of you that you will continue to follow your dreams! The journey is exciting and rewarding.