Thursday, August 26, 2010

COACHING versus THERAPY

People often ask me the difference between coaching and counselling or therapy. I have a friend who is a psychotherapist and a coach. She told me she prefers coaching over therapy and I asked her to explain the difference.

Here is what she told me:
In psychotherapy, the clients are in emotional pain and they need help to heal. People express their feelings about the past in the process. The sessions are held in person, in controlled settings at a certain time, typically once weekly for 45 – 60 minutes. The psychotherapist is the mental health expert and makes treatment recommendations, unlike the coach who is a partner with their client.

In coaching, the clients are doing well and looking to make a change. In the initial phase of coaching the agenda is co-created and goals are established. The goals could include upgrading their job, starting or expanding a business, life transitions, re-inventing themselves, changing a habit, etc. In coaching it is not about the past, but about the present and future. It is about where they are now and where they want to be. The sessions are flexible – in person or by phone; the length of the sessions vary from 30 to 60 minutes. Clients like the accountability factor to keep them on track as well.

If you have any comments to help clarify the difference, we’d like to hear them.

2 comments:

Jolene Designs said...

"Clients like the accountability factor..." -- I'll second that! I'd also describe my experience with a coach (it was you, Betty!) as having a sounding board that echoes back to me my own intentions separated from all the background noise. Coaches are great for helping to identify what it is you are really trying to achieve how it is you're going to do it. It's SO helpful in cutting through the clutter!

Betty said...

Jolene,
Thanks for helping with the clarification. I love what you said about cutting through the clutter. We are not very good at doing it on our own. I think we all need help to hear ourselves think. Glad you are doing well.